Monday, February 8, 2010

Day 38

Makarora to Wanaka 65km

Today marked a bit of a milestone as I passed my 2000km here in NZ. And it was yet another gorgeous day here on the south island. After crossing(surviving) Haast pass the day before I entered the central Otago region where the scenery is quite different than the west coast. Gone is the rain forest (and sandflies!). The very impressive mountains, often snow-capped remain in the view and I spent the day cycling past the beautiful lakes of Wanaka and Hawea.

The town of Wananka was quite pleasant, but it was very, very hot when I arrived and I spent the afternoon inside a local pub watching the superbowl. Watching by myeself as everyone else was outside enjoying the beautiful day. After the game I took a long nap and then went out and had a very large pizza all to myself. I need lots of fuel for tomorrows climb to the highest road in NZ as I make my way to the ultimate tourist trap of Queenstown.

No comments:

Post a Comment