Saturday, February 20, 2010

Day 50

Omakau to Ranfurly 53km

I really enjoyed spending the entire afternoon on the rail trail. The surface is quite nice despite being gravel. It was great not worrying about cars, or buses or trucks the entire time. There were quite a few cyclist on the trail and an equal number of pubs to service them. All quite civilized if you ask me. The were a couple of tunnels left over from the train era that the trail passes through. Kind of fun but reinforced the idea that forgoing the Homer tunnel (had I even made it that far) was a wise plan. A little scary cycling in complete darkness. Anyway, the Moniototo plains are interesting, completely different than anything else I've seen in NZ. If one swapped the sheep for fields of potato crops the place could easily pass for southern Idaho.

Tonight marks the final Saturday I'll be sleeping in a tent here in NZ. Kind of a sad milestone. It has been an awesome experience and if I wasn't getting a little tired (and running rather low on funds) I'd have loved to cycle all the way back to Auckland. Oh well, I get to spend several days in Dunedin and am quite looking forward to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment