Sunday, February 14, 2010

Day 44

Te Anau to Te Anua 110km

Even though it was raining again this morning I packed up and headed towards Milford sound. I had intended to make about 80km up the one way road to camp at Gunn's Lake. Gunn's lake is just before the sound itself and in between is the dreaded Homer tunnel. I have heard nothing but bad things about cycling through the Homer Tunnel all the way to Milford Sound. It is over 1.5km of one way, unlit blackness at about a 10% grade. THere is apparently a timed stoplight of about 15 minutes. Not enough time to climb up. One cyclist in Queenstown told me about trying to make it back up and getting pinned against the side by tourist buses. Yikes. So I was off to Gunn's lake. However I made it about 30km into the magestic scenery, stopped for lunch and was attacked by a cloud of sandflies. I had every inch of skin covered and still somehow a few of the vampires got through my defenses. THe thought of pitching a tent in a strom of bloodsuckers, and worse yet trying to pack up and get on my way the next morning was too much. I turned around, went back to the sandfly free holiday park and watched some olympics.

No comments:

Post a Comment