Saturday, January 2, 2010

Day 1

I arrived at the SLC international airport nearly three hours before my scheduled departure, but amazingly enough there was no problem getting me and my bike through security. I was on time but of course Delta wasn't. After taking $175 to carry the bike to LAX, Delta was more than an hour late getting their plane off the ground. This most inauspicious beginning was going to leave me perhaps 55 minutes to make the connection to Sydney. I sat next to Ellie, a remedial high school math teacher from California who--thanks to Delta--had maybe 20 minutes to make her flight home to Monterrey or spend new year's eve in LAX. Upon arrival this nice but very tough lady leapt from her seat and shoved her way to the front of the plane, right through the not very happy first class folks and was first off the plane--I was second.

First leg: 1000km 6hours.

Upon arrival in LA I had to run to the international terminal which naturally was on the opposite side of the airport from where Delta deposited me. The V Australia check in desk was set to close 5 minutes after I arrived. I was beginning to wonder about the final disposition on my bike and the duffle containing all my clothes, but the people at the check in counter were having themselves a bit of a party (it was new years eve) and were not to be put out by some sweaty guy frantically digging around for his passport. It seemed like a good idea to go with the flow, which was helpful because the far less festive TSA folks decided I looked rather suspicious and decided to give me and my belongings a complete inspection. My toothpaste apparently looked quite dangerous. Somehow I made it to the gate just as boarding began. To my surprise there was a big line--I somehow though a flight on new year's eve would be less crowded--but it did give me time to replace my toothpaste. I hope the Ellie didn't have to stay the night in LAX. I probably would have had I waited my turn to deplane.

Second leg: 2km 1 hour

The V Australia 777 was to say the least an improvement over Delta's rickety 737. I had a nice emergency exit seat with lots of leg room and a lovely personal entertainment system with dozens of movies. It was in the middle, not the aisle as I had hoped but considering the legroom appear it quite comfortable. After settling in I noticed one of the largest humans I've seen in quite sometime ambling down the aisle. Sure enough he was eyeing the open seat next to me. There was no doubt at least 40% of his total bulk would necessarily extend into my seat. Yikes. As this gentleman discussed with the flight crew his seat assignment I tried not to appear too interested in the outcome. As the plane was completely full it was decided that regulations concerning who occupies an emergency exit would be relax somewhat and in between take off and landing (about 13 hours) it would be okay for this massive gentleman to sit in the emergency exit. Yikes! He settled into his temporary location in the crew jumpseat directly opposite me, but the seatbelt was about four feet too short. At this point the crew bumped him up what sounded like the only other open seat on the airplane--in first class. It was a very happy solution for everyone involved.

Third leg: 12000km 13 hours

After a three hour layover in Sydney, I boarded an Emirates airbus 380 to Aukland which was even more luxurious than the 777. In addition to literally hundreds of movies in the personal entertainment system, there was a live feed from the camera in the tailwing. Watching this massive airplane take of and land was quite something. Riding on this European airplane operated by the UAE sat in stark contrast to the Delta experience.

Fourth leg: 2500km 6 hours.

It was quite the pleasant experience to see my bike box, along with about 5 others, waiting for me in the baggage claim area. After inspecting the bike the very nice customs official offered to take a break and personally walk me to the bike assembly area.

The bike assembly area!

I met Johnny in the bike assembly area, he is doing 3 weeks in Northland before heading off to South America for a 3 month tour.


I had considered riding the train to Wellington and starting my tour on the south island. But at this point I had had quite enough of traveling by gas powered conveyance so, after assembling the bike (in the bike assembly area!) and saying goodbye to Johnny I set off in a generally southern direction. I made it all the way to Manakua before stopping at the first backpacker hotel I came across and slept for 10 hours.

Fifth and final leg of day 1: 25km 1hour 25 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. I am loving your blog and missing you already! Dont forget to take lots of pictures!!!

    ReplyDelete