Friday, January 29, 2010

Day 29

Reefton to Westport 81km

Today was a gorgeous ride through the rainforest. Without the rain! Perfect. The Buller gorge was particularly pleasant. I stopped along the way at a nice little picnic area to change out water bottles. While eating an apple out of the bush appeared a beautiful Weka. The cute little bird had a wounded claw and seemed quite happy for a few bits of bread. I understand these birds live only on the south island. I would have stayed and enjoyed her company a bit longer but the damn sandflies converged on me in seconds.

In Rotorua I read of a Maori legend were the people spent all of their time standing around staring at the amazing scenery, so the Gods sent sandflies to prod them back to work. Certainly being in motion seems the best way to avoid the little bloodsuckers. I hear they get bigger the farther south one travels. I also understand the scenery becomes even more impressive further south. Must be something to the Maori folk tale.

No comments:

Post a Comment