Friday, January 29, 2010

Day 26

Waikari to Hanmer Springs 65km

The nicest day on the south island so far. Apparently summer has finally arrived (I hope). A few fluffly white clouds greeted me as I packed up my tent, not too hot and a very slight westerly (head) wind. The Waikari valley is quite picturesque, and I took several. The nearly deserted road followed the Hunui river slightly uphill to the resort community of Hnmer Springs.

I understand Hanmer Springs to be one of only two hot springs on the south island. Quite unlike the north island with its plethera of fumming and occasionally stinky vents and bubbling pools. No untoward smells in Hanmer Springs however, though I did not try the hot springs given the $20 entrance fee. The holiday park was pricey enough at $22 for a tent site. Oh well, the shower was both free and hot.

I passed Ellie and Edgar on the way. They had taken the difficult inland route from Kiakoura (windy and hilly) and are also on their way to the west coast via Lewis pass. Looks like we'll be crossing the mountains together.

In culverdon while having lunch I ran into a very nice older couple from England beginning their 3 month tour of the south island. They are travelling on very lightly loaded bikes, staying at B&Bs each night. Must be nice when the heaviest thing on your bike is the wallet.

No comments:

Post a Comment