Friday, January 29, 2010

Day 27

Hanmer Springs to Mariua Springs 87km

Another gorgeous day on the south island. The route up to Lewis pass was long, beautiful and very difficult. A net gain of 700 meters with at least twice that amount tacked on with the numerous ups and downs, some quite steep. The flattish parts, such as they were each came with quite the headwind regardless of direction. I stopped for lunch at the top of one particularly big hill and had a nice long chat with a retired Kiwi couple traveling about in their enormous camper bus. THey were most pleased to explain the intricacies of rugby. I've watch a few times and both the strategy and scoring were inscrutable to me.

As I was packing up lunch a Kiwi cyclist pulled up and asked to look at my pedallers' paradise book. I guess it is a reasonable assumption that a guy sith a funny accent on a fully loaded bike has a copy of that most useful book.

A bit later I caught up with Edgar and Ellie and we worked together in the stiff wind(sortof). The final leg to the pass was a particularly difficult gradient, but very beautiful with native beechwood forests and the most impressive peaks of the southern alps closing in. It was really nice to pass through native forest after all of the sad plantations (and logging trucks) of the north island.

JUst after the summit we came to Mariua Springs, the only other thermal springs on the south island. They wanted $30 for a tent site! I was really tired however and a sit in the 100degree hot springs was included in the price. Edgar and Ellis decided to press on and find a camp site in the forest. I handed over $30 and sat in the slightly sulfurous pool for an hour. It was almost worth it after a long day up pedalling up. I could barely get myself out in time to make it up to the sushi bar before closing. The place was a kind of Japanese bath house deal and they made a great sushi rool.

No comments:

Post a Comment