Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Day 5

Tapu to Coromandel Town 37.5 K

A very short day today. Kurt and Tia left the campground at Tapu before me as I decided to make a second cup of coffee before heading up the Coromandel Peninsula. I caught up with the Dutch folks at the bottom of the Kiatu hill. This is a picture looking back on the Firth of Thames about halfway up--the first hill. It turns out the Kiatu Hill is actually 3 hills.

I felt pretty good climbing today. I was kind of worried about my conditioning as I had only been able to climb to the top of East Canyon (about 1000 meters) a few times before the snow fell in ernest, leaving me a month of sedentary nothing to do but loose conditioning. Anyway, I made it to the top as did both Tia and Kurt arriving at the bench (yes another nice picnic area at the top of a long climb) not too long after I got there. Should I be so lucky as to climb like that a dozen or more years hence. Tia took this picture at the top of the first hill looking north towards Kikowhakarere Bay.

Here is a picture from the top of the last of three hills of the day

After arriving in Coromandel (around noon) I decided to take a shower, have an expensive lunch in this very touristy town and work a bit on the computer, i.e. take a nap. I ran into Tia and Kurt while looking for a spot to eat. They of course decided to continue and press on up the Wangapoua hill. My excuse was the holiday park has WiFi access and I need to wash all of this sunscreen off.

No comments:

Post a Comment