Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Day 3

Miranda to Miranda via the takeway at Kaiaua (26k 1.2 hours)

So I did indeed stayed an extra day at the holiday park. Not that I wasn’t feeling up to riding, actually I woke up feeling great. It was however pouring rain. I figure there will be plenty of opportunities to ride in the rain, but my tent was set up, I was dry so I made a dash to the kitchen for hot water and spent the day sleeping and writing. I can report that the Ortlieb panniers are indeed completely waterproof, as is the tent. However the Axiom handlebar bag is definitely not and Nigel’s book is quite waterlogged.

The sun came out in the afternoon and I rode back to the takeaway at Kaiaua. The nice receptionist at the holiday park office suggested the takeway there was not so good and the one in Kaiaua was excellent--it was. Along the way back the bolt fell out of the front fender. It was the one fastener on the bike for which I did not have the appropriate tool and so I just hand tightened it at the airport--and promptly forgot about that dubious setup (doh!) Given that experience I think I’ll give the bike a good preflight with my multitool each morning. For now the (sturdy?) rubber band that held the tent poles together is securing the front fender.

Here's a picture of my camping spot with the bike ready to go the next morning:

No comments:

Post a Comment