Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Day 12

Rotorua 0 km

Despite the occasional sulphur fumes I decided, in keeping with a journey that has no timetable and no destination, to stay another day here in Rotorua. I'm off to the government gardens that while apparently contain the not yet seen sulphuric geothermal vents, appears quite shady and a good spot to sit and write in my notebook. I've intended to do that each day, but have spent most of that time sleeping. The holiday park is quite nice, a definite step up form Te Puke. I'm set up next to a number of other tents occupied by backpackers. I've seen many touring cyclist on the roads and in the two 'big cities' of Rotorua and Tarangua I've come across several hikers. While many might find riding a push bike as its known here in NZ, backpackers seem to congregate in the cities, apparently riding buses with the retiree set in between. The in bewteens have to me been the nicest parts so far. Tomorrow I'm continuing south to Taupo.

No comments:

Post a Comment