Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Day 18

Wanganui to Wellington 193km

193km in less than four hours. Seems miraculous. The bus trip was a nice change after five days straight of cycling. The road along the way was indeed rather lacking in scenery, lots of cows and sheep. About 15 minutes out of Wanganui the bus zoomed past Kurt and Tia, clearly too close to them from my perspective. Along the way we past one other cycle tourist and again entirely too close. On the whole I think traveling this section via internal combustion engine was a good idea.

Wellington is a neat city, my favorite in NZ so far. Reminds me a lot of San Francisco: steep hills and big buildings, a beautiful harbor and lots of wind. The backpacker hotel is quite nice. Certainly could not get anything comparable in San Francisco for $62 a night. I think I'll stay an extra day.

No comments:

Post a Comment