Sunday, January 10, 2010

Day 9

Rest Day in Kitikiti

It was so nice here at the Saphire Springs camp site that I decided to stay an extra day. A couple from Australia set up a tent next to me. Jess and Tom are on the final leg of their (latest) world vacation. They've spent the last eight months in Nepal, Eygpt, Western Europe, South America and now New Zealand. The invited me over for a glass of wine and cheese and regaled me with stories of their ongoing adventures. What impressed me among many things about their travels is they aren't particularly wealthy. They're both retired secondary school teachers, but they made the choice many years ago that they wanted to travel. So they saved their money, travel cheap (living in a tent like me) and have made their way around the world several times over the last decade or so. We agreed that life is short and the aquisition of things doesn't in anyway add up to anything. Experience is what matters.

Oh, and I learned that names of places starting with Wha is pronounced 'fah'. Tomorrow I'm off to Whakanui. I'll let you sound it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment